Mission strategizes for impact
In 2021, KNOM reached a half-century milestone. In the gold rush town of Nome, a ‘golden anniversary’ gave reason to celebrate. Since then, KNOM’s board and staff have been on a journey of questioning long-held assumptions: What does the world need from us now? How can KNOM best meet the needs of Western Alaska, while remaining true to its mission?
After months of brainstorming and focused work, KNOM’s Board of Directors and staff have crafted a new strategic plan. We pray it becomes a tool to carry the mission into a future in which KNOM is a go-to source for news, inspiration and information in and from the Bering Strait region and northern Yukon Delta.
The plan has four core goals, outlined below.
Many initiatives in these areas have already begun. For example, the first goal involved transforming from
a volunteer-based organization to building on the foundation of a paid, full-time staff. Stay tuned as we work together in the next 5 years to turn the direction outlined in the strategic plan into concrete impact for the benefit of Western Alaska.
Strategic Plan 2022-2025
- Nurture human resources for a complete and inspired organization
- Develop local staff & volunteers for increased relevance & stability
- Shape a positive organization culture for a healthy & productive workplace
- Enhance multi-media for radiating the cultures and spirituality of Western Alaska
- Broaden KNOM media reach for engaging with listeners & fostering conversations
- Renew station approaches for encountering spirituality & Christ
- Strengthen relationships and investment for achieving our mission
- Leverage investments for our future capacity, talent & sustainability
- Cultivate supporters for sharing our story & increasing a positive presence
- Build long-term leadership & governance
- Develop leadership capacity and grow good governance toward a cohesive team, at board & staff levels