Hours: Full time, 40 hours/week, Exempt
Location: Nome, AK
Salary: $45,000-$60,000, DOE
Reports to: General Manager
Opening/closing: Job originally posted April 20, 2021; open until filled
If you relish the opportunity to tell the stories that affect our daily lives and a passion of keeping Western Alaska up to speed with our ever-changing world and teaching bright talented volunteers, this job will be for you. KNOM is looking for a news-focused talent with unique and creative ideas to improve the cultural and regional information being shared with Western Alaska. This also includes the News Director’s role in leading the team for coverage of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2 years of professional writing in media and broadcasting experience
- Volunteer and training experience
- Knowledge of Western Alaska, preferred
- Proficient in audio editing
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise all KNOM news programming including selection, editing, and production of KNOM newscasts, features, weather, live call-in shows, and race season coverage, such as the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
- Oversee news content edits for online audience at knom.org in collaboration with Web Coordinator.
- Train, coach, and mentor all news staff and volunteer fellows in local, regional, and statewide issues and journalism standards.
- Host daily newscasts (currently 7am and 8am newscasts, dependent on available volunteers and staff)
- Cover meetings, local events, and seasonal activities/beat as schedule allows
- Work on-call as needed for breaking news or tech difficulties with news/on-air programs
- Oversee and manage volunteer fellows in their news reporting duties (assign their beats)
- Report to General Manager to ensure news content meets FCC guidelines and KNOM mission.
- Schedule travel throughout Western Alaska to identify news tips and cover regional stories.
- Streamline news processes for efficient newsroom workflow and training.
- Anchor daily/weekly newscasts.
- Cover city, regional, and statewide meetings pertaining to Western Alaska issues.
- This is an on-call position pending breaking news and community events. Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
For a printable PDF copy of this job description, click here.
To apply, send a complete cover letter, resume, and aircheck/audio sample to Tony Calumet; email@example.com.