Job Opening: News Director
Position: News Director
Hours: Full-time, hourly, 40 hours/week
Wage range: $30.30-$36.50/hr
Location: Nome, AK
Opening/Closing: Job posted April 20, 2022; open until filled
The Nome-based News Director coordinates all KNOM AM & FM news programming and content, ensuring all programs are consistent with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations as well as KNOM’s Mission. The News Director is the supervisor to reporter staff.
This is an hourly, full-time position. Wage range is $30.30 – $36.50/hr depending on experience and education. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, 403B retirement plan.
- Bachelor’s degree, equivalent experience considered.
- 2-3 years professional broadcasting experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
- Proficiency with Adobe Audition.
- Knowledge of current news and journalism standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise all KNOM news programming including selection, editing, and production of KNOM newscasts, features, weather, live call-in shows, and race season coverage, such as the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.
- Oversee news content edits for online audience at knom.org in collaboration with Web Director.
- Train, coach, and mentor all news staff and volunteer fellows in local, regional, and statewide issues and journalism standards.
- Report to General Manager to ensure news content meets FCC guidelines and KNOM mission.
- Schedule travel throughout Western Alaska to identify news tips and regional stories.
- Streamline news processes for efficient newsroom workflow and training.
- Anchor daily/weekly newscasts.
- Cover city, regional, and statewide meetings pertaining to regional issues.
- This is an on-call position pending breaking news and community events. Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required.
- Lead news team meetings & network with Alaska Public Radio Network.
- Other duties as assigned.
Associate degree, or accredited four year College degree, or technical/professional school in Broadcasting, Communications, or related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the above noted knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Applying does not guarantee any candidate an interview. Candidates are interviewed by appointment only. Required documents are:
- Cover letter
- 3 Professional references
- Provide work samples of previous news writing
Upon offer of employment, applicants must be willing to go through a background check. Send all documentation for News Director to:
Davis Hovey, Interim General Manager for KNOM AM & FM, at email@example.com.
To read or download the full job description as a PDF document, click here.
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
KNOM Mission Radio does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ancestry, color, national origin, gender, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity in admission or access to the treatment of employment in its programs and activities as required by state and federal law.