KNOM Strategic Plan (2022-2025)
KNOM’s board of directors has adopted the following strategic plan to chart the course of the radio mission into 2025.
KNOM is the relevant go-to source for news, inspiration, and information in and from the Bering Strait region and northern Yukon Delta. KNOM is resilient and able to sustainably adapt to changing listener habits with strong community support and partnerships.
Goal 1: Nurturing human resources for a complete and inspired organization.
Core Components: Staffing; Organizational Capacity
- Objective 1.1: Develop
- e.g. KNOM transitioned from a volunteer-based model to a paid, full-time staff model with emphasis on local and regional hires.
- Objective 1.2: Shape a positive organization culture for a healthy and productive workplace
- e.g. KNOM is building on diversity and inclusion along with trauma-informed awareness.
Goal 2: Enhancing multi-media for radiating the cultures and spirituality of Western Alaska.
Core Components: Programming; Community Involvement
- Objective 2.1: Broaden media reach by engaging the voices and cultures of Western Alaska Inuit communities through meaningful programming and collaboration
- e.g. KNOM is reaching out to Western Alaska to engage with more regional residents and cover more stories from our listening villages.
- Objective 2.2: Facilitate more listener encounters with Christ & spirituality
- e.g. KNOM continues to serve as a constant companion on the air, working towards reducing automation.
Goal 3: Strengthening relationships and investments for achieving our mission.
Core Components: Finance; Donor Relations; Media Infrastructure and Equipment
- Objective 3.1: Leverage investments for our future capacity, talent and sustainability
- e.g. KNOM is creating a 5-year plan for facilities and equipment in Nome.
- Objective 3.2: Cultivate supporters for sharing our mission through positive messaging
- e.g. KNOM is ensuring online content is accurate, mission-focused, and in tandem with broadcasts.
Goal 4: Building long-term leadership and governance
Core Components: Board of Directors; Staff Development; Organizational Capacity
- Objective 4.1: Develop leadership capacity and grow good governance toward a cohesive team, at board & staff levels
- e.g. KNOM plans to recruit new board members from the Bering Strait region based on needed strengths.
Image at top: Nome under the KNOM star in winter. Drone footage by KNOM volunteer JoJo Phillips (2020).