Members of the Alaska Judicial Council vote on candidates for a Nome Superior Court judge vacancy at the Katirvik Cultural Center, Aug. 18, 2026. Ben Townsend/KNOM

Judicial council votes down both candidates for Nome Superior Court vacancy

After private interviews and closed-door deliberations, the Alaska Judicial Council voted against advancing two candidates for the open Nome Superior Court judgeship. The seven-member body evaluates applicants and decides whether to send them on to Gov. Mike Dunleavy for nomination.  

But state law requires the council to send at least two nominees to the governor, and the council concluded neither was ready for the high-level cases handled in Superior Court. 

One of the candidates, Elisabeth Mering, said while it wasn’t the outcome she hoped for, she was grateful the council was taking the time to find the right fit. 

“Nome does deserve a judge that can be that right candidate, and so it'll take some more time, but they will get there,” she said. 

Mering said she believes the council was looking for someone with broader experience, particularly in criminal and jury trials. For the last four years, Mering worked in Tribal Welfare at the Bethel-based tribal nonprofit Association of Village Council Presidents. She recently took on a new role at the state-run Office of Public Advocacy, which she hopes will give her the experience she needs to try for the Superior Court position another time. 

“I can say unequivocally I'm committed to rural Alaska, and so that really drove me to step out of my comfort zone and apply because I think we need more lawyers that will step up, particularly for our rural communities,” Mering said. 

The Nome vacancy was created by the departure of former Judge Romano DiBenedetto. The judge was placed on paid administrative leave in early 2025 and eventually resigned after an investigation found he mocked Alaska Native accents in private, and put personal matters over professional obligations. 

DiBenedetto received over $415,026.83 in salary and benefits during his administrative leave, according to documents obtained by KNOM. By approval of Gov. Dunleavy, DiBenedetto is also eligible to begin receiving retirement benefits when he turns 60 in two years.

John Revis was the other applicant for the position. He runs Revis Law Group in Wasilla with his former husband, Elliet Revis, who visited Nome earlier this year for a Youth Court conference. Revis said hearing about Nome from him inspired him to apply.

“Just talked it up really good, and you know, wanted a new adventure,” Revis said. “I've been in Alaska all my life, and it seemed like a fun step to give something new a try”

Revis said he also hopes to try for a Superior Court position again. 

“Just means try again another time, and you know, it's not really upsetting or disappointing. It just wasn't what they're looking for this time,” Revis said. 

The prolonged vacancy comes as the Second Judicial District is already stretched thin. Judge Paul Roetman recently retired from his Kotzebue post but has agreed to continue serving pro tem, including at the Nome Courthouse. Judge David Roghair from the Utqiagvik court also regularly helps cover Nome cases. 

Nome resident and staff attorney at the tribal non-profit Kawerak, Meghan Sigvanna Topkok, says the pro tem judges chipping in at the Nome Courthouse have done a good job, but that it's time for a “fresh perspective”.  

“We need somebody who lives here, who understands rural Alaska, the day-to-day life of what it's like having a relationship to the land, the historic trauma that, in particular, Alaska Native people have experienced, that then feeds into why so many of our people are in the court system,” Topkok said. 

Topkok acknowledged that recruiting to Nome is difficult, but believes the right candidate can be found with the understanding that certain skills can be learned on the bench through mentorship. 

“I think looking for perfection is just going to delay the administration of justice in this region, which we desperately need,” she said. 

The council’s Executive Director Susanne DiPietro said the position could be advertised again as early as September. Under that timeline, interviews would not likely happen until February 2027. 

Did you enjoy this News story?

Consider supporting our work by becoming a one-time or recurring donor.

Scroll to Top