The Nome-Golovin 200 is now postponed until next weekend, after winter storms prompted race organizers to delay the annual snowmachine race.
The race was originally scheduled to run on Saturday March 13th but the night before, high winds and blowing snow prompted race organizers to push the race back a day. But come Sunday morning, conditions hadn’t improved enough for a safe race. Race Marshall Kevin Bahnke told KNOM that the ice fog on the trail would be too thick to conduct a search and rescue mission if a racer had an emergency.
The 2021 Nome-Golovin 200 is now scheduled to take place at noon on Saturday March 20th.
Image at top: A racer departs the Nome-Golovin start-finish line. Photo: Zoe Grueskin, KNOM. 2018.