780 AM | 96.1 FM 

“YOURS FOR WESTERN ALASKA”

(907) 443-5221

June 1968: Making a dormitory

The Crooked House

The old KNOM dormitory known (somewhat) affectionately as “The Crooked House.”

June 18, 1968

Br. John Huck, SJ and volunteer carpenter Tom Karlin are tearing into an old World War II Army refrigeration building to convert it into a 5-room volunteer dormitory.

Known for years as “The Girls’ Dorm” – and later, as it deteriorates, as “The Crooked House” – the old building (pictured at right) houses volunteer women for 22 years before it is deemed too dangerous and is demolished by Br. Ray Berube, FIC and radio volunteer Mark DeLucchi.

Recent Posts

Most Read Stories

Lawsuit Against Myrtle Irene’s Owner Moves Forward As Gold Mining and Reality T.V. Season Resumes

The Cost of Living in Alaska
Love Letters to Home: Katie Smith of Nome, Alaska

FBI Agents Begin to Leave Nome, Agency’s Involvement in Okpealuk Investigation Provides Clarity for Some

More

Newsletter:

Christmas 2023

Work for Us:

Jobs

Contact

Nome:

(907) 443-5221 

Anchorage:

(907) 868-1200 

Land Acknowledgement

We acknowledge that KNOM Radio Mission is located on the customary lands of Indigenous peoples. 

Based in the Bering Strait region, KNOM broadcasts throughout the homelands of the Iñupiaq, Siberian Yup’ik, Cup’ik and Yup’ik peoples.

Scroll To Top