Unalakleet Man Arrested for Assaulting a State Trooper, Another Man ‘Interfered’

Aerial view of Unalakleet during winter, with open water along the coast.

Two Unalakleet men are facing criminal charges after they were allegedly involved in a physical altercation that resulted in the injury of an Alaska State Trooper.

Last week, the Unalakleet Police Department (UPD) responded to a domestic violence call involving 30-year-old Farrel Soxie during the early morning hours of April 22nd [Wednesday]. Soxie fled the scene of the assault and at that point, the UPD officer contacted the Alaska State Troopers (AST) for an assist.

The Trooper complaint says that the two law enforcement officers found Soxie at a house party in Unalakleet later on that morning. When they attempted to arrest him, Soxie reportedly became aggressive, ignored the officers’ requests, and balled his hands into fists. Trooper Scott McAfee wrote in his report that he struck Soxie in the face in an attempt to bring Soxie to the ground and restrain him. At that point, Soxie allegedly tried to wrestle the Trooper to the ground and grab his firearm from the holster.

McAfee reported that during the struggle with Soxie, he received a deep cut in his hand that required him to get sutures from the local health clinic.

While Soxie struggled with both the Trooper and City police officer, Troopers say 29-year-old Matthew Towarak of Unalakleet got involved. He allegedly encouraged the fight and interfered with the arrest. Eventually, the two law enforcement officers were able to restrain Soxie with the help of some other guests at the party.

Both men were arraigned and remanded to Anvil Mountain Correctional Center in Nome. According to AST, Soxie is being held on multiple assault charges including two counts of Assault in the 3rd degree, against a Police Officer with a weapon, resisting arrest, and violating conditions of release. Towarak is facing charges of interfering with and resisting arrest.

Image at top: An aerial view: no sea ice along the coast at Unalakleet in March of 2019. Photo: Zachariah Hughes, Alaska Public Media.